Deadline: 12:00pm on April 21, 2023
Position: Economic Development Officer, Permanent Full-time
The Economic Development Officer (EDO) is responsible for developing and coordinating the implementation of a strategic action plan. The EDO will take a leading role in activities and initiatives that will support business retention and attraction to the Township. The EDO monitors regional economic influences to assist in the development of the Township's goals for economic growth; and plans and implements community strategies to ensure the most innovative approaches are used to accomplish such objectives. In addition, the Economic Development Officer (EDO) liaises with, and assists the communities within the Corporation of the Township of North Stormont in the development of land use and sustainability projects; and provides a range of administrative and communications services for the Township. The EDO is tasked with the responsibility of researching, drafting and coordinating applications in pursuit of grant opportunities at the Federal, Provincial and County government levels. The EDO is expected to provide expertise and support to Departments applying for grants. The candidate should demonstrate strong civic and community leadership competencies. As part of their communications tasks they will be the backup to SDG communications and be responsible for updating and maintaining the website content and functionality and for the developing and releasing social media and other communications content when required, as directed by the CAO.
1. Assesses the economic situation of the region and determines how local economic factors could positively or negatively affect the Township.
2. Assist in the development of economic development strategies, objectives, and long-term plans for a unified business attraction/retention program.
3. Evaluates strategic opportunities that could benefit the economic growth of the Township; and presents pertinent recommendations to the Chief Administrative Officer / Clerk and to Council.
4. Develops strategic plans to ensure innovative practices are being implanted to support the economic growth of the Township; to ensure that local human and natural resources are being utilized; and to ensure the projects being promoted complement the preservation of the environment.
5. Develops economic profiles of the region and Township; and promotes the community to expand economic development opportunities.
6. Conducts surveys and research on market opportunities.
7. Review and communicate the components of grant opportunities and guidelines to internal Departments/stakeholders to support EDO preparation and submission of grant applications. Tracking/Monitoring of all grant application submitted.
8. For successful/approved grant applications, coordinate/collaborate with municipal staff to create appropriate funding announcements, implementation, evaluation and reporting requirements are completed in accordance with specific grant requirements.
9. Secures funding for economic development activities and programs.
10. Assist/Manage client applications for the Municipal Community Improvement Plan (CIP) and for the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Regional Incentives Program (RIP).
11. Acts as a liaison between local organizations, businesses and individuals, and representatives of government, business and industry concerning economic and community development plans, businesses and projects.
12. Works in close collaboration with the provincial Ministry of Economic Development and Growth.
13. Assists with the development of regional planning studies for the Township of North Stormont.
14. Provides support to Council: maintains confidential records and files; conducts research and assists with the preparation of motions, policies and procedures; reviews and edits reports; and ensures Council is provided with the information and resources required to make effective decisions pertaining to economic development. This includes regularly reporting to Council.
15. Maintains Township website and social media sites, including the Township of North Stormont's Facebook page.
16. Drafts media releases, briefings, and key messages for community newspapers.
17. Assists with pre-event planning, design, and set-up for public relations events.
18. Liaises with suppliers, community organizations, residents, Council members and Township staff.
19. Other duties as assigned.
• College or university degree in Commerce, Economics or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Holds designation as Certified Economic Developer (Ec. D.) is an asset/preferred.
• Knowledge of relevant municipal legislation, and provincial and federal statutes.
• Knowledge of communications principles and practices, including the use of web and social media vehicles.
• High degree of professionalism coupled with advanced communications skills in such areas as presentations, consultations, collaboration, negotiation, conflict resolution, facilitation and consensus-building; and superior written communications skills in both official languages. Ability to work both independently and as a team member.
The work is performed in an office environment. There is a constant requirement to respond to numerous requests for subject matter information, analyses and recommendations from the CAO / Clerk, Council, and colleagues, and to enquires from a wide range of external clients and stakeholders, often involving high-priority issues, short deadlines, concurrent demands and changing priorities, which may result in personal stress and frustration.
There is a requirement to travel throughout the six communities that make up of the Township of North Stormont, and throughout the region to attend meetings and consultations.
Salary $65,160-$85,019 full benefit package and enrollment in the OMERS pension plan. Compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Hours of work:
35 hours per week, Monday to Friday. Available to attend evening Council meetings, other events as required.
Resumes will be accepted until 12:00 p.m. (noon) on April 21st, 2023 to:
Township of North Stormont
15 Union St.., P.O. Box 99
Berwick, ON K0C 1G0