Position: Planner/Economic Development Officer
Application Deadline: Thursday, January 31st 2019
Located within the scenic Ottawa Valley and bordered by the Ottawa River, the Township of Whitewater Region is a dynamic place to live, work and play. Known worldwide for whitewater rafting and kayaking, we offer a variety of year-round activities such as golfing, snowmobiling, camping, boating, fishing and cross-country skiing.
From our vast acres of farmland to our small, unique hamlets and villages to our wide expanses of water, the Township of Whitewater Region invites everyone to experience rural and urban life in perfect harmony.
The Planner/EDO has responsibility for a full range of professional land use planning and economic development functions. Emphasis is on providing professional advice regarding land use matters, including planning policy and development review. The Planner/EDO also fosters business retention and expansion by leading a variety of economic development initiatives.
• University degree in Planning or closely related discipline required, preferably at the Masters level.
• Five (5) years of responsible professional experience in municipal planning and development with an emphasis on rural and small urban environments.
• RPP designation (or progression toward) and MCIP eligibility
• Willingness to obtain Economic Development certification
• Thorough knowledge of Provincial Policy Statement, Ontario Planning Act, and Municipal Act.
• Experience and knowledge with regard to the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal process is required.
• Ability to interpret legal surveys, agreements, maps, drawings, plans, GIS data, etc.
• Analytical skills to resolve planning related problems and negotiation skills for complex applications.
• Public speaking required, including Public Meetings and presentations.
• Highly developed collaboration, leadership and communication skills with a strong sense of public service.
• Basic computer proficiency and report writing are required.
• Valid G Driver’s License in good standing with access to private use of a vehicle.